AIR Studios began its long and prestigious history in 1969 when George Martin left EMI to establish an independent recording complex in the heart of central London. It became one of the most successful studio operations in the world.
Construction of a sister studio, on the Caribbean island of Montserrat, began in the mid 1970′s attracting major artists from around the globe. Sadly, Hurricane Hugo devastated the island in 1989, and the studio was forced to close.
However, 1991 heralded the beginning of a new AIR Studios located in the beautiful Lyndhurst Hall in London. A site of significant architectural and historical interest, Lyndhurst Hall occupies a prominent corner position in the quiet suburb of Hampstead and is classified as a Grade II* listed building. Originally a church and missionary school Lyndhurst Hall was designed in 1880 by the great Victorian architect Alfred Waterhouse (designer of the Natural History Museum).
Heavily involved in the design and building of the new studio facility, Sir George Martin opened AIR Lyndhurst in December 1992 with a gala performance of “Under Milk Wood” in the presence of HRH The Prince of Wales.
On 8th February 2006 Richard Boote announced the purchase of Sir George Martin’s AIR Studios from Chrysalis Group and Pioneer.
Since that date AIR Lyndhurst has continued to be Britain’s premier scoring facility attracting some of the world’s biggest movies scores, as well as maintaining its popularity with major classical labels, high profile recording artists and incorporating TV postproduction facilities to rival those in the West End.